Thursday, May 19, 2016

10 Safety Tips for Runners and Drivers who Share the Same Road

When living in San Jose, CA I was lucky to squeeze in a few weekly runs. For safety purposes and to arrive to work on time, I aimed to run during early morning hours before Silicon Valley traffic set in. Now that I've moved to the Olympic Peninsula and am currently not working, I run more frequently. Instead of running neighborhood city streets, I run on two-lane highways. With increased mileage has come increased awareness of how things are and how things outta be! So with this new awareness, I present to you:


Ten Safety Tips for Drivers and Runners Who Share the Same Road

Drivers:

1) If you're driving on a two-lane road, it's not only courteous to slow down if a runner is approaching, it lets them know you see them. There is nothing more stressful to a runner than a driver who rigidly remains in their lane no matter who else is on the road with them. Seriously, people, you're not going to get a ticket for veering into the other empty lane in order to give a runner some road.

2) If you drive an extra large vehicle (big rig or commercial vehicle) reducing speed even by 5 miles can provide an extra measure of safety for the runner. Large vehicles traveling as slow as 45 mph can create enough wind to force a cap off a runner's head.

3) If you see a runner up ahead but also recognize another driver approaching in the opposite lane, slow down. Most runners recognize that when an approaching car slows significantly, it means there is almost always a car behind them and the runner needs to move as far into the shoulder of the road as possible. This more easily allows the two oppositely passing cars to simultaneously pass one another.

4)  If driving behind a runner who is travelling in the same direction as you in order to turn a corner, be extra careful and watch for hand signals. For example, at a 4-way stop, when the car in front of you is heading straight and you are turning right and the runner is also turning right; it is NOT okay for you to force the runner into the shoulder to avoid having to wait for the car in front of you. If the runner has not yet passed your car, then it's safest to wait until the car in front of you has gone.

5) There is never any good reason to honk at a runner unless you're trying to save them from a falling meteor. Honking can be terrifying, especially from big-rigs with loud horns. It disrupts the runner's breathing, pace, and is an overall jackass move.

6) Don't stop runners for directions. I don't know why anyone thinks this is a good idea but it's not. It has a similar effect on the runner as #5 minus the terror.

7) If you're driving a hilly road, pay close attention. Runners cannot see your car as you're descending the same hill they're ascending. If your attention is not fully on driving while going down that hill and the road doesn't have a lot of shoulder, the runner has few options to get out of your way.

Runners:

8) Unlike bicyclists who ride with the flow of traffic, I recommend running against traffic so that you're facing oncoming cars. This is so you can see them approach you and potentially get out of the way.

9) It's okay to wave at drivers whether you know them or not. I wave, not because I'm trying to awkwardly make new friends, but to command my presence. I also wave to create road harmony. The unintended consequence, of course, is pretty soon all the drivers will be waving at you. But that means they see you which means they probably won't run you over.

10) On two-lane roads, I run in the middle of the lane against traffic. I also wear a flashing LED light clipped to my clothing. That way the driver sees me as a potential threat (or at minimum a curiosity worth slowing down to examine). I stay in the middle lane until they're close enough to see me and then I veer into my shoulder.

Bonus Tips for Runners: Carry pepper spray, a Road ID bracelet and, a cell phone. Let someone know your route in advance; what time you left and when you've returned. For more info on Road ID use my unique refer a friend link: http://RoadID.com/invite/4XHVV-TAFPHHVQD2Z For extra safety, I have been known to snap a selfie before leaving (to demonstrate my attire) AND my route.

These tips came from experience. I learned them the hard way, or perhaps I should say "the fortunate way" (I lived to write about them!) Including the wretched Pepsi truck who sped by so fast my hat flew off my head. If I missed anything, or if you have a suggestion to add, pleases write me a reply. I'd love to hear them.


4 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing Jill! It can be pretty scary sharing the road with drivers, even in a small town like Sequim. We've found, in running or even walking, that cars rarely stop and look both ways when leaving a driveway or parking lot. We've almost been hit more than once. Grateful for God's protection! ❤️ Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan-you are so right and that is such a great point. That is why I prefer running in the street, even when sidewalks are present. At least sidewalks provide a small layer of protection since a lot of these drivers will, at minimum, back slowly out of their driveway onto their sidewalk before barreling out into the street. How many time have we witnessed that startled "Oh my gosh, I almost plowed in to you" look?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information Jill....I enjoy your blog. I am not a runner but take great care to watch out for you. I appreciate runners for not wearing head phones but layering on a brightly colored piece of clothing. Run-on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annamarie! I appreciate your blog annamarieibrahim.com too :) I will say, though-I gotta wear those headphones and I gotta have that music blasting.

      Delete